Reproduced from the Centennial Edition of the Brainerd Daily Dispatch (1871-1971).|
Reproduced exactly as published in 1971 - no updates, no corrections.
Drum-Bugle Corps Adds City Spirit
PICTURED IS The Brainerd Ladies Bugle Corps members who made an appearance at the Mardi Gras in New Orleans, La. in 1949. A community-wide fund drive sponsored the trip for the contingent which had gained wide attention for prize-winning appearances at state and area events.
The Brainerd Ladies Drum & Bugle Corps as it is known today was organized in 1936. A group of local girls, watching a smartly turned out Corps in a parade. decided Brainerd could do as well. Evelyn Rofidal, Almira Christenson and Viola McKay started the ball rolling by calling on a few of their friends.
Mrs. Norman Ziebell consented to be music director for the Corps of 16 women, which in short order grew to 29 members.
Mrs. Viola McKay was elected first captain with Benora Christenson as drum majorette. First uniforms were white duck trousers with purple satin blouses and high white hats.
The Drum Corps has been an independent organization through the years, but has received financial assistance from the City of Brainerd in recent years.
The Corps has won many top parade prizes at the Minneapolis Aquatennial, St. Paul Winter Carnival, State Elks, American Legion and Moose conventions.
PICTURED AFTER giving a concert in the W. A. M. Johnstone home on May 17, 1904, are (left to right) Mrs. Johnstone, Jennie Mysen Lind, Georgia Horn Nash and Theresa Schultz Hansen. (Photo submitted by Mrs. William Graham.)
Highlight of the Corps' appearances was at the Mardi Gras in New Orleans in 1949.
Funds were raised throughout Brainerd and surrounding locales for the trip.
The Corps presently numbers 21 members with Mrs. Lois Jensen as majorette.